Northern Beaches 8065 4050 | Lower North Shore 9909 1113

Frequently Asked Questions

I have seen a property on the internet that I am interested in renting. How do I apply for the property through Latham Cusack Property Services?

You first need to contact our office to make an appointment to view the property or to have someone view it on your behalf. Once you have seen the property and checked it matches your criteria, you will be required to fill in our Tenancy Application Form ( Here, you are required to provide us with 100 points of identification and detailed information in order for us to conduct reference checks in association with work and your rental history. Once your application has been approved by the Landlord, you will be asked to leave a Holding Fee of 1 weeks rent to reserve the property for you.


How much is the BOND I have to pay for the property?

A four (4) week bond will be payable in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act  2010.


Do I need to seek permission for someone to move in with me if they’re not on the Lease?

Yes. You need to notify Latham Cusack Property Services in writing if you wish to have another person reside at the property. Regardless of whether they wish to be included on the lease agreement or not, this person must complete a tenancy application form and be approved by the owner prior to moving in.


Do I need contents insurance?

Contents Insurance is not a legal requirement for Tenants; however we strongly recommend that you consider obtaining this form of insurance from the outset of your tenancy. Owners insurance does not cover any damage or loss of your personal belongings.


Can the rent be increased during the fixed term period of my lease agreement?

If you are in a fixed term Lease, the rent cannot be increased during this period unless it has been already included in the special conditions of your Lease. You can however be issued with a rent increase giving you 60 days’ notice in writing, advising you of a rent increase to take place AFTER your Lease has expired.


Can I get a pet?

Tenants must not keep any animal at the property without the prior written approval of the owner or Managing Agent and where applicable, the Owners Corporation.


How do I report repairs and maintenance needed at the property?

Non urgent repairs and maintenance must be submitted to your Property Manager in writing and in a timely manner. Any urgent repairs can be phoned through.

For all non urgent repairs, please complete a maintenance form via this site or email Latham Cusack Property Services directly.  (

What is considered an ‘Urgent Repair’? (Refer to Section 19 of your Residential Tenancy Agreement)

  • An urgent repair is work required to repair:
  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
  • a failure or breakdown of the hot water service
  • a failure or breakdown of the stove or oven
  • a failure or breakdown of a heater or air-conditioner
  • a fault or damage which makes the premises unsafe or insecure.


How much notice to I have to give to vacate the property?

At the end of the fixed term:

If you want to end your tenancy when the fixed term period of the agreement is due to run out, you will need to give at least 14 days’ notice in writing. This notice can be given up to and including the last day of the fixed term and we recommend confirming with your Property Manager that they have received your notice. Scanned copies of your notice to vacate can be emailed as long as it is signed by all Lessee’s.

After the fixed term (Continuing Agreement):

If you want to end your tenancy after the fixed term has ended (and you have not signed another lease), you will need to give at least 21 days’ notice in writing. This notice can be given at any time and does not have to line up with the rent payment cycle. You must pay the rent up to and including the day your notice ends and you vacate. Our office will advise you of your final rent owing when your notice has been received.

Receiving notice from the landlord or agent:

If your landlord serves you with a termination notice on an expired Lease, you can vacate at any time prior to the expiration of the Termination Notice. If you were given notice for the end of the fixed term, you are responsible for paying the rent until the last day of the fixed term when you return the keys to us. For every day you still hold the keys, rent will be charged on a daily occupational rate. Please ensure that you complete a 'returning keys and bond form' ( and return to the office with your full set of keys.


How and when do I get my bond returned?

If you do not owe any money at the end of the tenancy, the bond that you paid at the beginning of your tenancy should be refunded to you in full. However, if you there are deductions to be made on the bond, our office will advise you of this and a claim will be made against your bond.


Can you give me an example of ‘fair wear and tear’:

Fair wear and tear generally means damage that can occur due to; the ordinary day to day use of a place (ie worn carpet in high traffic areas) and the ordinary operation of natural forces (ie sunlight, rain etc)

You as the tenant cannot negligently or intentionally cause or permit any damage to the premises.

Some examples of negligent, irresponsible or intentional damage include

  • Water stains to carpets due to pot plants
  • Damage to carpet by stains or burns
  • Damage to curtains by pets
  • Badly scratched tiles or timber floors
  • Burns or scratches to bench tops
  • Holes in walls from the removal of picture hooks